Sunday, November 15, 2009

Soul Mates

Let me start off by saying that I believe in soul mates, but, however, I am not a "hopeless romantic." Similarly, I also believe in good grammar, but sometimes I don't like to use it. The point is, I don't want a reader to pass over this believing that I'm going to glorify getting married and having kids at 16.

Here's my... theory about soul mates: I think they exist and that they die closely to each other. My parents, grandparents and great-grandparents are all soul mates. I believe that wholeheartedly. However, they are all exceptions to my rule. My great-grandfather died a few years ago but my great-grandma is still working (volunteering) at a thrift store. The reason I believe she is still alive is because she's too stubborn and she loves to work. I love her dearly and she was always very independent.

My grandpa also died, just recently, and my grandma is still alive. At first, I, honestly, didn't hold out hope for her to stick around much longer, but extenuating circumstances, once again. She has a son of over 40 that has lived at home since birth. He will not leave. She believes that nobody will take care of him if she were to pass. At times, she has called my mother in tears asking my mom to take care of him after her death. This is why I believe she hasn't began to "go," so to speak. She feels and obligation past her grief. I think she is a very courageous person for this. I know that she was very close to my grandfather. Close to a point where it was beyond husband and wife, but to a deep friendship. Imagine a friend that you absolutely could not live without, literally, and that was my grandparents. My parents are also very similar.

At times, I believe they could tear each other apart, but nobody else would put up with them. Sometimes, they have the demeanor of angry, starving street cats, but with all that, I know that they are meant for the other. Nobody else could tolerate them. Even they would agree with this.

I also believe that at one point, I found my soul mate. However, for whatever reason, whether it was misplaced destinies or we just didn't have the chance, we are not together. I wish that it could work out but she doesn't think it could. One day, maybe we'll meet at a jazz lounge where I'm a bar-tender and she the singer, but, until then, we are two halves of a whole trying to find our substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment